The ICV Controlling Excellence Award: The award for exemplary, practical controlling solutions
Invitation to participation at the ICV Controlling Excellence Award 2023
Dear Sir or Madame,
As every year, we also present the Controlling Excellence Award in 2023. We hope to be able to do this again as part of our traditional congress in Munich, and therefore invite you to the 47th ICV Congress of Controllers on May 15/16, 2023..
Have you implemented a controlling project that you would like to present to our Jury and, if nominated, also to ours controlling community, then apply by January 31, 2023. The winning team can also expect 3,000 euros in prize money and is in good company: The winners of recent years include companies such as Deutsche Post DHL, Unitymedia, Bosch, Edeka, Covestro, RWE, ElitePartner, Lufthansa, the Otto Group, McDonald’s and the die Bundesagentur für Arbeit [Federal Employment Agency]. But don't worry: It's not the company name that counts, but what solution you develop, what you have achieved for your company as a controller or controlling team. Surprise us, inspire us, take us with your application on your journey from the idea to the destination!
Face the competition and the expert judgment of our Jury, with practitioners and professors. Under the direction of Prof. Dr. Utz Schäffer, the Jury members are Prof. Dr. Andreas Seufert, Prof. Dr. Ute Vanini, Roland Iff, Dipl. Wirt. Ing.Jens Bienik and Dr. rer. pol. Lars Grünert carefully weigh up who is entitled to own the title, prize money and, last but not least, the fame of our Award.
With this in mind, I am excited to be able to welcome you and each one from our international controlling network in May 2023.
I wish much success to all of the participants!
Prof. Dr. Heimo Losbichler
Chairman of the International Association of Controllers
Your application - step by step
- Please note: The submitted work must not have been awarded before the ICV Controlling Excellence Award is presented. If necessary, the work can have been published in excerpts.
- Please answer the questions that is available here on the site and as a download (please submit your answers in Powerpoint or PDF format).
- Briefly present your project in a presentation (10 to 15 pages, Powerpoint)
- Please send the answers to the questions and the project presentation by e-mail or post to Carmen Zillmer, ICV Office (contact information on this page). Please announce your application by e-mail or telephone
- The deadline for entries is January 31, 2023.
- The Jury evaluates the received documents.
- In the beginning / middle March 2023 we will inform you about the status of your application
- Three nominees nominated for the ICV Controlling Excellence Award will be invited to the Congress of Controllers 2023. It takes place on May 15/16, 2023 in Munich. As a nominee, you can visit the two-day Congress of Controllers with your presentation team without paying the participation fee. You can to cover only the accommodation costs. The ICV is responsible for the catering, you are our guest
- The Award will be given on the first day of the event - Monday, May 15, 2023. The honoring of the winner is traditionally the highlight of the Congress. The winner presents their work to the audience (about 500 visitors). The lecture should take about 20-25 minutes.
- The work of the other nominees will also be mentioned in the context of the event.
- All nominees and the winners receive a certificate as well as an online badge. The winner will also receive 3.000 EUR.
Project presentation and list of questions: The two components of your application
Your complete application has two parts:
1. PROJECT PRESENTATION: Please present your project briefly and concisely to the Jury in a 10 to 15-page presentation (format: Powerpoint).
2. LIST OF QUESTIONS: Please answer the following questions about your company and your project (format: Powerpoint or PDF).
INFORMATION ABOUT THE COMPANY
name, address, industry, size (revenues, number of employees)
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTROLLING SECTOR
number of employees, form: centralized/decentralized controlling, organizational levels
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROJECT
Management Summary, title of the project and its aim, short description of the approach, duration of the project, important results
Description of the Project
starting point/motivation, aims of the project, used resources, conception, solution/implementation approach, description of the individual results (e.g. acceptance, number of users, achieved improvements), information about the contribution of the project to the company's success
Views of two internal customers/users of the controlling solution
Provide an answer to the following question: Please, express your opinion about the quality of the results and the creation process. Describe as well what kind of practical changes the new controlling solution contributed to you as a customer. Are you satisfied with the creating process and the results?
Information about further development of the solution and/or about subsequent steps as well as use of the most important findings gained in the project.
List of questions as a PDF
Please send your complete application to the ICV Managing Director, Carmen Zillmer. She can also answer your questions.
The Jury of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Prof. Dr. Utz Schäffer holds a chair for controlling and corporate management and is director of the Institute for Management and Controlling (IMC) at WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management. At the ICV he is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees. More about Utz Schäffer here.
Prof. Dr. Andreas Seufert teaches at the Ludwigshafen University of Economics and Society. There he is Director of the Business Innovation Lab. He is also Director of the Institute for Business Intelligence at the Steinbeis University in Berlin. At the ICV, he heads the BI / Big Data and Controlling expert work group. He is also responsible for XING | Ambassador controlling. More about Andreas Seufert here.
Prof. Dr. Ute Vanini is Professor of Controlling and Risk Management and is the Academic Director of the Center for Languages and Intercultural Competence (ZSIK) at Kiel University of Applied Sciences. She is also a Member of the Board of Directors of the Schleswig-Holstein Investment Bank, Member of the Board of Trustees of the Schleswig-Holstein State Association for Inner Mission, reviewer for various scientific organizations and for the CARF conference of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts. More about Ute Vanini here.
Roland Iff was Geberit's CFO for almost three decades. He is also a Member of the Board of Directors of VZ VermögensZentrum and a Member of the Board of Directors of Bauwerk Parkett AG. More about Roland Iff here.
Dipl. Wirt.-Ingenieur Jens Bienik is Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board of dbh Logistics IT AG and Chairman of the Advisory Board of Vollers Group GmbH. Before that he was CFO of BLG Logistics Group AG & Co.KG. More about Jens Bienik here.
Dr. rer. pol. Lars Grünert is CFO and member of the group management of TRUMPF Werkzeugmaschinen GmbH + Co. KG in Ditzingen. After working as a project manager at Horváth & Partner and Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, he moved to TRUMPF as Head of Controlling in 2002, where he was then Managing Director of TRUMPF Laser GmbH & Co.KG in Schramberg, CFO of SPI Lasers in Southampton, Commercial Manager of the Laser Technology/ electronics and the central areas of IT + processes and organizational development. More on Lars Grünert here.
Media Partners of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Frequently asked questions about the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Exemplary controller work gives other controllers impetus for a concrete improvement in their controlling. Ideally, the solutions are innovative and show new ways. What is important is the practical feasibility and that the controlling has become more efficient and / or more effective as a result, and not only in the opinion of the controller, but also the manager.
Smaller companies can also be found among the winners of the Award. However, they often have their hands full keeping up with the development of controlling, which is mostly shaped by large companies. Conversely, smaller companies find it easier to implement innovative solutions in a short period of time. In other words: The ICV Controlling Excellence Award can be won by companies of any size and any industry!
The Jury must understand the solution that has been developed and be able to recognize the advantages over the status quo ante. The solution must be plausible and understandable. In the documents submitted, a certain degree of care should be recognizable and a few basic elements, for which we have also put a proposal online, should be covered. The rest is up to the applicants, but it should be short and concise.
It's not about awarding magic formulas for corporate success that can be copied exactly, but about organizational innovations that are deeply embedded in the context of the respective company. Even with knowledge of a certain process, a competitor is a long way from being able to copy it quickly.
Download the Sponsors' Brochure (German PDF)
More sponsors are welcome!
Financing of the Award project is based on the financial support from our sponsors. We offer you the following promotion possibilities:
- Promoting your company logo in all print and online media (also through our media partners e.g. Finance, Treasurer, Controlling & Management, Controller Magazin, Markt & Mittelstand), related to the IV Controlling Excellence Award
- Promoting your company logo via our ICV Controlling Excellence Award e-mailings sent to more than 60,000 addresses
- Your company logo on our ICV Controlling Excellence Award postcard, which is distributed for applications in our regional events, Controller Akademie seminars, etc.
- Linking your company logo here in the ICV Controlling Excellence Award area
- Your company name in the sponsors area in the agenda of the Congress of Controllers of the ICV, printed in more than 60,000 copies
- Your company name on the screen when the winner of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award is announced at the ICV Congress of Controllers
- Naming your company as a sponsor in the press materials after the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
- A donation certificate for the tax-deductible amount of the sponsorship
You can propose the amount of your support based on the sponsorship aspect.
You too can support the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Would you also like to become a sponsor of our renowned Award for exemplary work in controlling? We are looking forward to it! Get in touch with the responsible contact person in the ICV Office: