presenting at the ICV Congress of Controllers, Munich +++ applications in German or English from any country, industry or company size are welcome! +++
The ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Invitation to participation at the ICV Controlling Excellence Award 2021 (by 31.1.2021)
Dear Sir or Madame,
at the 45th Congress of Controllers on April 26/27, 2021 the ICV Controlling Excellence Award of the International Association of Controllers (ICV) will be given. The ICV Controlling Excellence Award awards the exemplary controlling work in companies and other organizations every year.
I’d like to invite you to apply for the ICV Controlling Excellence Award by January 31, 2021 with your controlling solution. Compete for the Award and send your application so that it could be judged by our Jury!
The ICV Controlling Excellence Award 2021 will be given by the international Jury with Prof. Dr. Andreas Seufert, Prof. Dr. Ute Vanini, Roland Iff and Dipl. Wirt. Ing. Jens Bienik headed by Prof. Dr. Utz Schäffer as successor of Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Jürgen Weber. The image of the ICV as the first controlling competence address is strengthened by the ICV Controlling Excellence Award. The winner receives also 3.000 EUR. The Jury is really curious how many solutions will be submitted for 2021.
I’m looking forward to many interesting projects, the competent decisions of the Jury and the happy winner. I wish much success to all of the participants!
Chairman of the International Association of Controllers
Download the word document and provide detailed information about your controlling project:
- The situation before start and after
- involved people
- What contribution has the project made to the company success?
In addition, please send us a 10- to 15-page presentation, in which you will present the project to our Jury briefly and succinctly.
Attach your complete application
- the completed questionnaire (see below, download there)
- the project presentation you have created individually
Both together go to the ICV Office, Carmen Zillmer (contact details on this page).
Your application - step by step
- Fill out the questionnaire (download left).
- Briefly present your project in a presentation (for example Powerpoint). 10 to 15 pages
- You can send the completed application plus presentation by e-mail or post to Carmen Zillmer, ICV Office (contact information on this page). Please announce your application by e-mail or telephone
- The Jury evaluates the received documents.
- In the beginning / middle March 2021 we will inform you about the status of your application
- Three nominees nominated for the ICV Controlling Excellence Award will be invited to the 2021 Controller Congress. It takes place on April 26/27, 2021 in Munich. As a nominee, you can visit the two-day Controller Congress with your presentation team without paying the participation fee. Only the accommodation costs are to be borne by you. The ICV is responsible for the catering, you are our guest
- The Award will be given on the first day of the event - Monday, April 26, 2021. The honoring of the winner is traditionally the highlight of the Congress. The winner presents their work to the audience (about 600 visitors). The lecture should take about 45 minutes.
- The work of the other nominees will also be mentioned in the context of the event. All nominees and the winners receive a certificate. The winner will also receive 3.000 EUR.
More sponsors are welcome!
Financing of the Award project is based on the financial support from our sponsors. We offer you the following promotion possibilities:
- Promoting your company logo in all print and online media (also through our media partners e.g. Finance, Treasurer, Controlling & Management, Controller Magazin, Markt & Mittelstand), related to the IV Controlling Excellence Award
- Promoting your company logo via our ICV Controlling Excellence Award e-mailings sent to more than 60,000 addresses
- Your company logo on our ICV Controlling Excellence Award postcard, which is distributed for applications in our regional events, Controller Akademie seminars, etc.
- Linking your company logo here in the ICV Controlling Excellence Award area
- Your company name in the sponsors area in the agenda of the Congress of Controllers of the ICV, printed in more than 60,000 copies
- Your company name on the screen when the winner of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award is announced at the ICV Congress of Controllers
- Naming your company as a sponsor in the press materials after the ICV Controlling Excellence Award
- A donation certificate for the tax-deductible amount of the sponsorship
You can propose the amount of your support based on the sponsorship aspect.
The Award in the corona year 2020
The ICV Controlling Excellence Award is traditionally presented at the ICV Congress of Controllers. In 2020, the Congress had to be postponed to the following year due to the corona pandemic. The award Jury nevertheless selected three nominees:
- A1 Telekom Austria
How we will hand over the Award in view of the special situation has not yet been decided.
Become sponsor of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award - contact
If you have any questions please contact us
including overview of the published presentations of the winners
At this event the ICV Controlling Excellence Award is given
Frequently asked questions - ICV Controlling Excellence Award
Does really everyone have an opportunity at the ICV Controlling Excellence Award - or do only the well-known companies win anyway? Don't I betray my company's secrets, in the worst case scenario even to the competitors? These and other questions answers the Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Jürgen Weber, Chairman of the Juty until 2020:
What reputation has the Award in the controlling and management community?
Weber: I do not have statistically reliable data. From many company contacts, I know that the Award is known among the controllers and is considered difficult to achieve. On the manager side, we can however certainly add in terms of awareness.
What is "exemplary controlling work"?
Weber:The solutions are mostly innovative and show new ways. The practical feasibility is important to us. We do not focus on brilliant theoretical solutions. It is also important to us that controlling has become more efficient and / or effective as a result, and not only in the opinion of the controller, but also of the manager.
How can the applicant prove their "exemplary controlling work"?
Weber: When does a controller believe a manager's plan? The Jury must understand the solution that has been worked out, and recognize the advantages over the status quo ante. The solution must be plausible and understandable. It certainly does no harm if the submitted documents are designed with sufficient care, if one sees that the applicants apply themselves to the Award. As in every-day controller’s life, here in the application a few basic elements should be covered, for which we have also put a proposal on the net. The rest is quasi freestyle, left to the discretion of the applicant. It has to “fit". In any case, as a Jury we do not want to read long novels. "To get to the point", helps both sides!
I am afraid to reveal secrets of success with my presentation!
Weber: I know the argument, but I think it is completely inaccurate. The ICV Excellence Award is not about awarding magic formulas for corporate success, which can be copied 1: 1. It is mostly about organizational innovations that are deeply embedded in the context of the respective company. Even though I know that company A runs now the forecast semi-automatically and uses the tool X, a competitor is miles away from copying it quickly. What I outwardly signal as an applicant is the conviction that my controlling is up to date, innovative and successful. I can’t see a reason why I should keep this a secret.
The previous winners are well-known companies. What chances do SMEs have?
Weber: It's not like there are no smaller companies in this hall! Admittedly, many smaller companies have their hands full off keeping up with the development of controlling, and that is essentially shaped by large companies. However, it is easier in small companies to implement innovative solutions in a short time, what usually takes a long time in large companies. In other words, companies of every size and every industry can win the Award!
You have led the Jury since introduction of the Awards in 2003 (Red.: 2020 handover to Prof. Dr. Utz Schäffer). What is your drive?
Weber: I am very much concerned with providing impulses for the further development of controlling in practice. That's why I'm also involved in the ICV. The further development depends on many things, such as well-trained students who take state-of-the-art knowledge from the universities, open-minded controllers who read specialist articles and meet at conferences, work of the Association, appropriate communication to make ideas known as quickly as possible - and also on good examples that you are happy to emulate. And this is exactly the idea underlying the Excellence Award. All these measures only help if they are designed for the long term - and that's why I'm still here!
Are there any further Award’s developments?
Weber: I think the basic concept is still going strong and will last for a long time. However, we have learned that the controllers’ uncertainty of whether or not participate and whether the solution worked out can in principle compete with others, has rather grown over time. I am therefore "quite officially" available as a contact partner and guide, at least by e-mail, with higher uncertainty also by phone.
We also want to increase the excitement a bit by nominating three potential candidates shortly after the deadline for submissions, but to announce the winner at the Congress as before. Maybe we'll change more around the Award; we are still in the middle of the discussion and we are looking forward to more good ideas. We will not leave these considerations in the "secret backroom"!
If you, dear readers, compete hopefully for the next Award, you will be able to read all the news on our website. So have courage!
Winners of the ICV Controlling Excellence Award 2018 in an interview
The ATVISIO Consult GmbH in a conversation with Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Jürgen Weber, Chariman of the Jury, and the team of the Robert Bosch GmbH, winners of the ICV Controlling Excellence Awards 2018.