Controlling instruments from the M&A point of view
1. "Transaction ready" is a key buzzword in your presentation. What does it mean in particular for controlling?
The methods of consultants in the M&A processes (e.g., due diligence, normalized historicals, cash & debt items) aim to find out the true value of a business for a transaction. Controlling, on the other hand, is intended to provide management tools to increase the value of the company. Controllers can learn a lot from the M&A consultants here. In addition, the management must constantly question its investments and give thought to the value.
2. You speak with a view from the energy industry. Is your experience transferable to all sectors?
The energy industry has gone through a very difficult period and had to reinvent itself. The purchase and sale of parts of companies was and still is the agenda of the day. Many energy suppliers today are "transaction-ready" in all areas. Although the principle has developed in the energy industry, it can be applied to almost all sectors.
3. What can controllers learn from your speech and take home with them?
They will learn to question and develop their controlling instruments with the M&A perspective. In addition, they will be able to assess the "transaction readiness" of their company.
About Dr. Edgar Lehrmann
- May 2006 - March 2007 Leadership program for management potentials of Alpiq, Olten CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), Zurich
- Dec. 2004 - June 2006 PhD at University of Essen – Selected member of the A.T. Kearney doctorate program for 13 months
- Nov. 1990 - July 1996 Diploma, Munich, University of Management (LMU)
- Sept. 1990 - May 1989 High School of Montreux, Switzerland and Munich, Germany
- German (mother tongue)
- English (fluent)
- French (basic)
- April 2013 - today Head Group Accounting & Controlling, Deputy CFO
- Jan. 2011 - March 2013 Head Finance & Services Division Energy International, Olten
- March 2011 - Dec. 2011 Head Finance und Regulatory Affairs, Division Trading & Services, Olten
- Jan. 2007 - Feb. 2011 Head Finance Atel Energy AG, Business Units Market Central Europe
- March 2003 - Dec. 2006 Head Credit und Business Risk Management, Corporate Center, Atel
- Oct. 1996 - March 2003 A.T. Kearney GmbH, Düsseldorf and Munich